    SubjectRe: [linux-fbdev] fbdev 2.4.0 cleanups
    Date
    Sven LUTHER writes:
    > whats the problem with me wanting to know what resolution my xserver is
    > currently running at ?

    As far as the applications are concerned, xdpyinfo is more what you want.
    However, this will give you the virtual resolution, not the physical res.

    > i just do a fbset -i on it, and then i can for example set the console fbdev
    > mode to exatcly the same to avoid slow switching between the console and X.

    Linux actually switches quickly - it's your monitor that can't. You don't even
    have to have the same colour depth - all you really need to ensure is that the
    refresh rates for X and console are closely matched, and the monitor will not
    detect any difference during the switch.

    (Disclaimer: on some really really cheapo video hardware, you may get a
    glitch, but I think that would be unlikely to be picked up with todays
    monitors).
    _____
    | | | | http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/aboutme.html / / |
    / | THE developer of ARM Linux |+| /|\

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.019 / U:5.100 seconds]