SubjectRe: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel
In article <375815D9.D39D3370@pobox.com> you write:
>The fancy larger initrd, *if* it's too large for 8MB, is only
>needed for the latest boot-from-cdrom systems anyway.

How about compressing all files in an initrd image individually and
storing them in memory in compressed form? Should be easy as long as
the image is read-only. I don't know if a read-write image is needed.

Or could we dump initrd altogether and access the boot drive directly
through a BIOS call? A 32->16 bit gate to call the BIOS interrupt should
be possible. Who cares about performance in the early stage of install?
IIRC such a driver did exist years ago, or the ELKS people might have
one. Of course, this would be x86 specific...

Please don't Cc: me, I *do* read this list.

hjb
--
"Every use of Linux is a proper use of Linux." -- John "Maddog" Hall