    SubjectRe: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel
    Alan Cox wrote:
    > Finally people want to install Linux on *second hand* machines. Hell if we
    > wanted to support just new stuff we could drop PCMCIA (cardbus has replaced
    > it), drop modems (you've all got cablemodem right), and anything lower
    > than a PII processor

    That's not the issue here, Alan.

    We already have the means to install linux on just about memory-limited
    all older laptops -- use a boot floppy with a smaller initrd.

    The fancy larger initrd, *if* it's too large for 8MB, is only
    needed for the latest boot-from-cdrom systems anyway.

    No issue.

    Besides all of which, it ain't that hard to create a bootable cdrom
    that requires *less* memory for initrd than the current ones!
    Just nuke all of the non-cdrom-install crap from the cdrom boot image.

    Piece of cake, especially for a place like RedHat or Suse or Caldera.

    If not, they can always subcontract the work. Lots of takers.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.019 / U:4.796 seconds]