    SubjectRe: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel
    In message <>, Alan Olsen
    > > Alan Cox wrote:
    > > > Finally people want to install Linux on *second hand* machines. Hell if w
    > > > wanted to support just new stuff we could drop PCMCIA (cardbus has replac
    > > > it), drop modems (you've all got cablemodem right), and anything lower
    > > > than a PII processor
    > >
    > > Please do not let Linux fall into this trap; this is the Microsoft way
    > > of doing things. Instead of optimizing the operating system for minimal
    > > hardware, they simply demand better minimal hardware as part of the
    > > install requirements. For those who can afford and do have plenty of
    > > system resources, this is great, but we shouldn't exclude those who
    > > don't.
    > <aol>Me too!</aol>
    > I have some serious concerns because of this. I have installed Redhat 6.0 on
    > my work machine and it is eating up huge amounts of memory with Gnome and E.
    >It is seriously giving me second thoughts about installing it on my
    laptop whi
    >ch is limited to 40 megs of ram. (And I do not have another $1600+ to
    >in another laptop.) I realize it is not a kernel problem (yet), but it
    could b
    > Unfortunatly there is alot of legacy hardware out there. You may not use it,
    > but lots of people still do.

    Amazing! Don't you people understand sarcasm? Alan was *not* advocating
    any such thing!

    | Bob Taylor Email: |
    | Gnome certainly is (serious competition to the Mac or Windows) |
    | ... I get a charge out of seeing the X Window System work the |
    | way we intended..." - Jim Gettys |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.023 / U:0.180 seconds]