SubjectRe: Kernel 2.2.1 and sysvinit 2.76 possible bug
Date
In article <cistron.m10FmPx-0007U1C@the-village.bc.nu>,
Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>> 2.2 introduces a "feature" which causes the kernel to reboot if init
>> dies for any reason, so it is more likely that sysvinit could be the
>> culprit. However, I agree with you; this is a kernel bug and should
>> be fixed.
>
>Its not a bug.

Depends on how you look at it.

>If init dies the machine is in deep crap. Init should not
>die. If init dies something very bad has occured. Simply carrying on with
>no pid 1 to reap processes wont work very well

True, but shouldn't the kernel just panic and halt? A spontaneous
reboot is a bit.. unnerving, and makes it hard to diagnose what happened.

But anyway I have no idea what the kernel does if init dies. If it
just treats is as a "never happens" situation it might die horribly..

BTW, Init _never_ does an exit(). Even if it gets SIGSEGV it prints
a message and does a "while(1) pause()" forever.

Mike.
--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?