SubjectKernel 2.2.1 and sysvinit 2.76 possible bug
I pass along this exchange for the readers of this list since it appears
to be relevant:

According to Dan Srebnick:

> Thank you again for pointing me towards the newest sysvinit release the
> other day. I installed 2.76 under kernel 2.2.1 linked with glibc2.06.
>
> My results were absolutely terrible. While the program compiled just
> fine, after installation, my machine became terribly unstable. It would
> spontaneously reboot at intervals from 10 minutes to several hours. I
> have backed off to a 2.64 release linked against libc5.
>
> If there is any further information that I can provide, please let me
> know. In all cases, there was no dump, just a screen blanking and a jump
> to the bios start routine.

This is the response from miquels@cistron.nl:

This sounds like a kernel problem. A user level program should not
be able to crash the machine. Even if sysvinit _was_ the culprit
(which I doubt) then a reboot is still a kernel bug.

Try backing off to 2.0.36

Mike.
--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?