SubjectRe: GGI and cli/sti in X
torvalds@transmeta.com (Linus Torvalds)  wrote on 27.03.98 in <6fh0uh$33e$1@palladium.transmeta.com>:

> In article <19980327143347.53007@Elf.mj.gts.cz>,
> Pavel Machek <pavel@elf.ucw.cz> wrote:
> >
> >Do this for me: Limit your mem to 16Meg, make your machine swap a
> >bit. Now switch consoles from/into X and do it fast. Be creative and
> >you'll see complete freeze or at least complete mess-up of video.
>
> May I suggest you consider the fact that you may have a buggy video card
> that freezes the bus when it gets overloaded? At which point the whole
> system is dead - not the kernel, but the _hardware_ is dead and needs a
> reboot.

In that case, it must be different from what's happening to me.

Every app doing something to the video hardware has these problems - X,
svgalib, dosemu.

Every once in a while, fast console switching will hang with one of these.
Sometimes (nopt always), the process in question will also hang.

Nothing else hangs.

Logging in via modem or network (if available) and, say, stopping and
starting X, or killing a frozen dosemu, will unfreeze the console.

Nope, the bus is obviously _not_ frozen at all.

MfG Kai

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.655 / U:0.576 seconds]