    SubjectRe: GGI and cli/sti in X
    On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Doug Ledford wrote:

    > Pavel Machek wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > > in any case, Linus's conservative approach to GGI is excellent;
    > > > most people are indeed *not* religiously opposed to X. personally,
    > > > I've _never_ had an X bug cause video problems or a crash,
    > > > and I've been using Linux and X for more than a couple years.
    > >
    > > Do this for me: Limit your mem to 16Meg, make your machine swap a
    > > bit. Now switch consoles from/into X and do it fast. Be creative and
    > > you'll see complete freeze or at least complete mess-up of video.
    >
    > Although I can't say for sure, this sounds suspiciously like a bug in X
    > (well, we know that already, but I'll be more specific). During the switch
    > to/from graphical mode, X is responsible for diddling the registers on the
    > video card. If X starts getting swapped out due to memory constraints, I
    > could see the prospect of X taking a page fault in the middle of one of
    > these diddles as being capable of fubarring the display and possibly the

    I get 5 or 6 ughs everytime somone runs X onmy system so I'd say your
    correct, the ughs are allways in do_page_fault. The ughs are normal on
    any system I've seen with < 16 megs ram. The every once and a while
    changing consoles will just fail, and leave me with a frozen console.

    > machine if they cause the video card to hang the bus. In short, all of the
    > code that X loads to diddle with the registers on the video card needs to be
    > locked in memory so that it can't be swapped out or else timing critical
    > sections in the X server for diddling the registers could get held up as
    > code is paged back in. Now, I haven't looked at the X source so I don't
    > know if it does this, but this is where I would start looking to see where
    > the problem comes from. The other thing I would do is make sure that the X
    > server knows that if you switch back and forth quickly, it should lock down
    > the video card during mode switches until the switch is complete and
    > stable. So, if you switch into graphics mode and then back to text mode, it
    > should never start the switch back until all of the diddling for the switch
    > to graphics mode is complete. I haven't the faintest clue as to whether or
    > not the X server you use enforces this, but I would suspect it already does.
    > FWIW, I never see these X hangs, but I don't switch back and forth anyway
    > since I prefer my 80x50 xterms to the console vts.

    You are most likely correct.

    Gerhard

    --
    Gerhard Mack
    gmack@imag.net

    As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.021 / U:1.552 seconds]