    SubjectRe: GGI and cli/sti in X
    On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Vagn Scott wrote:

    >Linus Torvalds wrote:
    >
    >> The "kill -9" problem is so trivial to fix that it's scary: you make a
    >> small setuid binary that runs as root (and makes sure to drop the
    >> original user by doing a "setuid()" as the first thing). It saves the
    >> old graphics mode information, switches into graphics mode, does a
    >> "fork()" and starts up X as a normal user in the forked process.
    >>
    >> The small root-owned process then stays around, does a "wait()" on the
    >> child (the X server) and when the X server exits it restores the screen
    >> and everything is hunky dory.
    >
    >This, of course, is the challenge.
    >If it can be done then the problem is solved.

    Pardon my (extreme) ignorance of XFree86 internals and such but could a
    SIGSEGV signal handler be used? You know, "Hey, I received a SIGSEGV, I
    better restore the text screen and quit." (With, of course, setting a flag
    so that it doesn't try to restore the screen if it receives another SIGSEGV
    while restoring the screen.)

    Then if you do a 'kill -9' on the X server from an xterm, it's your own
    fault.

    -George

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.023 / U:30.020 seconds]