    SubjectRe: NFS ...
    On Thu, Dec 17, 1998 at 11:29:49PM +0100, Kurt Garloff wrote:
    > Hi Linus, Alan, HJL, ...
    > Just to tell about my experience:
    > * Another Network at our department is sometimes not working very well. I
    > have some filesystems mounted via NFS, but nothing essential. Only data
    > mounted on some mountpoint dir and a symlink from my homedir.
    > Now, if the network hangs, a ls in my homedir hangs in D state and never
    > gives up. Sopmetimes, I am even not able to kill -9 the process. I am never
    > able to umount the fs (no process is working with any of the files in the
    > NFS mounted dir, BTW).

    OK, I was told that the intr (or soft) option helps. Yes, it does. Thanks
    for poiting this out.

    > * 2.1.125 knfsd starts working fine but after some time when doing ls on the
    > client, it only says /bin/ls: no such file or directory for a hundred times.
    > (That many file are in thsi directory.) Client is 2.0.36.
    > * Performance could be better. A few hundred kB/s should be possible on a
    > not to busy 10MBit network, should it? I often only saw 40kB/s, but the
    > server machine was slow (486-100), too. Now with P-150, I see 100kB/s
    > between two Linux systems, which is still a little low, isn't it?

    Postings indicated that recent work on the NFS client/server helped both
    problems. (At least my impression that it's being worked on was correct.)
    I will upgrade to 2.1.132-acX (or whatever) and try.

    > * I read a lot of reports in l-k telling me that there are more problems if
    > there are other systems like AIX or Solaris involved. Fortunately, I
    > didn't ever fall across one of those. I can just confirm that the NFS
    > client of Linux works fine with the server of DEC Unix.

    > I'd really like to see Linux to be stronger in the NFS area. Hope your work
    > will help to get this done. It's just sad to see Linux being a better samba
    > server than NFS ...

    It seems it is ...
    (Another question is whether NFS is the best networking fs.)

    Thanks for all your suggestions!

    Kurt Garloff <> (Dortmund, FRG)
    PGP key on

    There is something frustrating about the quality and speed of Linux
    development. I.e. the quality is too high and the speed is too high, in
    other words, I can implement this XXXX feature, but I bet someone else
    has already done it and is just about to release his patch to Linus soon...
    [From a posting of Tigran Aivazian to linux-kernel, XXXX = disk stat]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.033 / U:15.028 seconds]