    SubjectRe: NFS ...
    "A month of sundays ago Alan Cox wrote:"
    > > * Another Network at our department is sometimes not working very well. I
    > > have some filesystems mounted via NFS, but nothing essential. Only data
    > > mounted on some mountpoint dir and a symlink from my homedir.
    > > Now, if the network hangs, a ls in my homedir hangs in D state and never
    > > gives up. Sopmetimes, I am even not able to kill -9 the process. I am never
    > > able to umount the fs (no process is working with any of the files in the
    > > NFS mounted dir, BTW).
    > 2.1.x supports umount -f - you may need to send a kill to all the processes
    > and try it a few times but it normally gets you out

    Beg to partially differ - I think that was a 2.0.* comment. If so he's
    probably mounting hard,nointr and also forgetting that rpc.mountd / rpc.nfsd
    can hold the mount (nfsiod also?) when servicing remote requests. Wholesale
    local and remote slaughter should free the mount.

    Please do correct my insane beliefs if wrong!

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.019 / U:2.272 seconds]