    SubjectRe: NFS ...
    Date
    "A month of sundays ago Alan Cox wrote:"

    > > * Another Network at our department is sometimes not working very well. I
    > > have some filesystems mounted via NFS, but nothing essential. Only data
    > > mounted on some mountpoint dir and a symlink from my homedir.
    > > Now, if the network hangs, a ls in my homedir hangs in D state and never
    > > gives up. Sopmetimes, I am even not able to kill -9 the process. I am never
    > > able to umount the fs (no process is working with any of the files in the
    > > NFS mounted dir, BTW).
    >
    > 2.1.x supports umount -f - you may need to send a kill to all the processes
    > and try it a few times but it normally gets you out

    Beg to partially differ - I think that was a 2.0.* comment. If so he's
    probably mounting hard,nointr and also forgetting that rpc.mountd / rpc.nfsd
    can hold the mount (nfsiod also?) when servicing remote requests. Wholesale
    local and remote slaughter should free the mount.

    Please do correct my insane beliefs if wrong!

    Peter

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.022 / U:30.468 seconds]