SubjectRe: NFS ...
"A month of sundays ago Alan Cox wrote:"
> > * Another Network at our department is sometimes not working very well. I
> > have some filesystems mounted via NFS, but nothing essential. Only data
> > mounted on some mountpoint dir and a symlink from my homedir.
> > Now, if the network hangs, a ls in my homedir hangs in D state and never
> > gives up. Sopmetimes, I am even not able to kill -9 the process. I am never
> > able to umount the fs (no process is working with any of the files in the
> > NFS mounted dir, BTW).
> 2.1.x supports umount -f - you may need to send a kill to all the processes
> and try it a few times but it normally gets you out

Beg to partially differ - I think that was a 2.0.* comment. If so he's
probably mounting hard,nointr and also forgetting that rpc.mountd / rpc.nfsd
can hold the mount (nfsiod also?) when servicing remote requests. Wholesale
local and remote slaughter should free the mount.

Please do correct my insane beliefs if wrong!