SubjectRe: Building Big Ass Linux Machine, what are the limits?
Hi

> > Another feature that we can perhaps learn from this excellent company
> > is the "snapshot" function.

> The downside is the increased amount of disk space. Why not use the
> algorithm that cvs uses to keep the size of changed files down to the
> minimum? I.e using deltas?

As far as I know it uses copy-on-write.. this means that you only have one
copy of the data - the most recent. Snapshots are only the bytes that
are different... applied (as a patch would be) to the most recent version.

I presume that there is some kind of loss - the patch must have a minimum
block size for stuff to be efficient.

Oskar

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.195 / U:0.088 seconds]