    SubjectRe: Building Big Ass Linux Machine, what are the limits?
    Adam D. Bradley wrote:
    > Actually, "snapshot" functionality is remarkably easy to do with an LFS,
    > and I imagine it's not that difficult for a JFS either. Both have the
    > advantage that old data can be pushed off to tape or other slow media once
    > it's no longer "live", but supporting this well would probably require
    > userspace help.

    I've been thinking about this "change disk now" questions that the
    kernel might need to ask.

    I thought I'd make a character device that simply outputs the question
    to be posed to the user.

    On a text console you just run something similar to

    cat /dev/changemessages &

    On an X display a small tool would present in a requestor anything
    that could come up.

    There might need to be some feedback saying "OK. Done".

    | Most people would die sooner than think.... |
    | in fact, most do. -- Bertrand Russsell | phone: +31-15-2137555
    We write Linux device drivers for any device you may have! fax: ..-2138217

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.022 / U:17.180 seconds]