    SubjectRe: Building Big Ass Linux Machine, what are the limits?
    > > www.netapp.com).  The NetApp boxes use NVRAM to record a log of NFS
    > > activity since the last write to disk, and it does a consistency
    > > "snapshot" at least once every 10 seconds. Basically it comes down to
    > > this: The filesystem on disk is always consistent (ie: no fsck needed
    > > after reboot), and the nvram stores what changed since the last write
    > > (battery backed up so a power failure doesn't kill it) ...

    > Sounds exactly like the ext2fs journaling I'm working on, doesn't it? :)

    > The journaling will, by default, use a reserved journal inode on your
    > existing filesystem, but it will have an option to journal to a separate
    > device if you want. And if you happen to have a solid-state SCSI disk,
    > just store the journal there (or on a local nvram board, if you have
    > such a thing).

    Another feature that we can perhaps learn from this excellent company
    is the "snapshot" function.

    In every directory is a .snapshot directory.

    In every .snapshot directorare directories like:

    hourly.1
    hourly.2
    hourly.3
    daily.1
    daily.2
    weekly.1
    weekly.2

    etc etc.. cd into those and you ended up with the files that were
    present at those times.

    Obviously this is completely impractical for some applications (EG: news,
    mailservers etc) - But, in principle, would it be feasable to add this
    functionality into the journalling filesystem ?

    Regards,

    Red

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.033 / U:3.464 seconds]