SubjectRe: Building Big Ass Linux Machine, what are the limits?
On 30 Sep 1998 ketil@ii.uib.no wrote:

> Alex Buell <alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Redvers Davies wrote:
>
> >> Another feature that we can perhaps learn from this excellent company
> >> is the "snapshot" function.
>
> > This feature is actually quite cool - we at Raytheon use it during our
> > development to preserve tracking of changed files on our home directories.
>
> Hmm...couldn't this better be implemented as a userspace nfsd,
> presenting a virtual filesystem based on backup data - e.g. amanda's
> index files?
>
> Of course, actually trying to *do* anything with the files might cause
> an "insert tape number xx" error message, and the request would have to
> be delayed.

Actually, "snapshot" functionality is remarkably easy to do with an LFS,
and I imagine it's not that difficult for a JFS either. Both have the
advantage that old data can be pushed off to tape or other slow media once
it's no longer "live", but supporting this well would probably require
userspace help.

Adam
--
You crucify all honesty \\Adam D. Bradley artdodge@cs.bu.edu
No signs you see do you believe \\Boston University Computer Science

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.065 / U:0.988 seconds]