    SubjectRe: disk naming proposal & devfs (fwd)
    Perry Harrington writes:
    > Greetings, I am new to (this) list. I have quite a bit of experience with
    > Solaris, and I must say that duplicating the Solaris naming scheme to access
    > SCSI disks/devices is a Good Thing(tm). Getting commercial software vendors
    > to support Linux is difficult already, creating some non-standard obscure
    > naming scheme is a step in the wrong direction. It is conceivable that we
    > could get some commercial vendor (Veritas???) to support Linux when logical
    > vols are up to snuff, and this would make them happy. I personally think
    > that the Controller,Target,device?,slice model seems kindof silly, but Solaris

    There is no way we can use the Solaris format, since they miss
    information (the SCSI channel or bus, which is a per host/controller
    thing). Leonard has come up with a reasonable alternative to what I've
    done: h0c0t0u0p2: host,channel,target,unit,partition.

    Regards,

    Richard....

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.018 / U:1.020 seconds]