SubjectRe: disk naming proposal & devfs (fwd)

okay. I don't want to have to visually or write a script to grok
output that can look like

/dev/c0t0d0s0

or

/dev/c0t0s0

or something else just because it's not supported in *your* hardware. I have to
administer a LOT of machines and consequently the simpler my life is the better
it is. I don't particularly care about it "looking pretty" as your suggestion
would make it, I am primarily interested in having a COMMON naming scheme
ranging from the oldest and slowest SCSI-I drives to the latest and greatest
Ultra Wide SCSIs for instance.. the same go other devices too. define ONE
naming scheme and stick to it.

--Jauder

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Kevin Lentin wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 12, 1998 at 08:46:39PM -0800, Jauder Ho wrote:
> >
> > okay... no dropping of things just because they don't support it. if it
> > is not supported, just set it to 0. there are enough complexity with the naming
> > scheme that we do not need parts of the device name dropped "because the device
> > does not support it"
>
> I just find it annoying that my simple NCR53c710 and my scsi disk need to
> be identified by 3 different pieces of information that convey 0
> information. That card only has one bus and disks don't have multi-luns. At
> least my simple ones don't.
>
> I can understand the bus argument just a little bit but why do I have to
> tell it I want LUN 0 of my simple seagate 1gig scsi disk. And if I have
> the kernel configured not to probe LUNs greater than 0 (for that is an
> existing config option) then present the devices with LUNs in them makes no
> sense at all.
>
> --
> [ Kevin Lentin Email: K.Lentin@cs.monash.edu.au ]
> [ finger kevinl@fangorn.cs.monash.edu.au for PGP public key block. ]
> [ KeyId: 06808EED FingerPrint: 6024308DE1F84314 811B511DBA6FD596 ]

HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE: This Message Contains Minute Electrically
Charged Particles Moving at Velocities in Excess of Five Hundred Million
Miles Per Hour.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.803 / U:0.188 seconds]