    SubjectRe: disk naming proposal & devfs (fwd)
    Theodore Y. Ts'o writes:
    > Note:
    >
    > I've been sitting back and watchings this argument about what
    > the names should be in devfs with great amusement. This is one of the
    > other traditional reasons given for why we should stick to simple major,
    > minor device numbers. People can agree (or don't care about) on
    > major/minor device numbers. As soon as you introduce alpha-numeric
    > names, it becomes a completely different story.
    >
    > Arguments about naming are the mother-of-all-ratholes in computer
    > science, and this observation has been proven true time and time
    > again.....

    Really? So who decides on the names in Documentation/devices.txt? Is
    there no argument there? Or has it come and gone for SCSI discs?
    I expect most people would use the standard names. Those who really
    hate the names would create symlinks. Devfs can work in this mode
    too.

    Regards,

    Richard....

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.018 / U:3.832 seconds]