SubjectRe: Solaris 2.6 and Linux
On Sat, Sep 27, 1997 at 11:05:13AM -0700, Jeffrey B. Siegal wrote:
> FSF-style Free Software (Linux included) carries an unacceptable cost
> for most embedded systems: the need to distribute source. No one wants
> to distribute source code for the embedded control system for every
> device they manufacture and distribute (think microwave ovens, cars,
> elevators, VCRs, etc.).

You don't _need_ to distribute source. You just have to be willing to. You
can sell GPL binaries as much as you like with no source but if somebody
comes and asks, you have to give it to them.

> I discussed making an exception for this case with RMS several years
> ago, and although he didn't object to it philosophically, no one was
> willing to invest the necessary effort to properly draft the appropriate
> language for the GPL.

Maybe I'm wrong then but I was convinced you were permitted to distribute
binaries as long as source was available. You put a phone number in the
manual of the product where they can order the source code for the device
and you mail it out to them. Or whatever.

--
[ Kevin Lentin Email: K.Lentin@cs.monash.edu.au ]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.062 / U:0.100 seconds]