SubjectRe: Solaris 2.6 and Linux
You need only provide source if asked for it, and you need only point to a
ftp site with the source and offer to send a CD-ROM/floppy if the ftp site
is not sufficient. A label on the device containing a reference to the
copyleft and a copy of the license in the manual should satisfy the rest
of the requirements.

Dean

On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, Jeffrey B. Siegal wrote:

> At least for Linux/MIPS a significant fraction of the people
> interested
> in using it for new hardware want Linux for their embedded
> systems of
> various types. For the embedded market the price/performance
> ratio is
> very important and that's exactly the point where nothing can
> outperform
> Free Software.
>
> FSF-style Free Software (Linux included) carries an unacceptable cost
> for most embedded systems: the need to distribute source. No one wants
> to distribute source code for the embedded control system for every
> device they manufacture and distribute (think microwave ovens, cars,
> elevators, VCRs, etc.).
>
> Its not that its a secret, its just that its a pain in the ass.
>
> I discussed making an exception for this case with RMS several years
> ago, and although he didn't object to it philosophically, no one was
> willing to invest the necessary effort to properly draft the appropriate
> language for the GPL.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.113 / U:0.936 seconds]