    SubjectRe: Solaris 2.6 and Linux

    In message <19970927155411.51012@test.legislate.com>, Raul Miller writes:
    } Jeffrey B. Siegal <jbs@quiotix.com> wrote:
    } > Still, we're talking about many products that are totally outside the compu
    } ter
    } > industry. Consumer products do not generally include license agreements in
    } > their manuals (they many not include a manual at all). Something strange l
    } ike
    } > may generate a huge volume of support calls from confused or curious
    } > customers, adding to the cost of the product (many of these products are ve
    } ry
    } > inexpensive, so any additional cost can be a big deal).
    } >
    } > In most cases, it makes more sense to just go with commercial software for
    } > these applications, even if the Free Software is technically superior and,
    } on
    } > the surface, less expensive. Sad but true.
    }
    } Huh?
    }
    } So you're saying that if I sell automated whatzits, with some fsf software
    } in rom, for something like $99, it'll break my back to offer the source
    } for the software on floppy for another $99?

    It may not break your back, but if it doesn't cost you $99 to put the
    source on floppy, it isn't within the letter of the GPL:

    b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
    years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
    cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
    machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
    distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
    customarily used for software interchange; or,

    --
    Jon Hamilton hamilton@pobox.com | hamilton@pitviper.med.ge.com
    <A HREF="http://www.pobox.com/~hamilton">Jon Hamilton's homepage</A>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.022 / U:120.876 seconds]