    SubjectRe: Solaris sources
    Dan Hollis wrote:

    > On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, Michael Nelson wrote:
    > > On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, Dan Hollis wrote:
    > > > On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, Michael Nelson wrote:
    > > > Really? Has anyone actually purchased it? If so, who specifically?
    > > Yes, several well-known CS-related universities have. The message passed
    > > through my mailbox a couple of years ago and I can't remember who they
    > > anymore. Sorry.
    >
    > The only information I have ever seen was that some university tried to
    > get the source code (for security review or something). Might have been
    > Stanford. Anyway, for various reasons they either weren't able to get the
    > source or chose not to.
    >
    > It would be nice to have a "from the horse's mouth" report of someone who
    > got the NT source code. Until then I consider it a wild unsubstantiated
    > rumor.

    Oh. Are you talking about a security review of windows NT by source code
    inspection?

    I had access to the NT device driver development kit once. In the day
    or so that I was looking into it I found a buffer-overrun problem in
    the postscript driver. The postscript driver runs at the kernel
    privileges level.

    'nuf said.

    Roger.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.022 / U:0.744 seconds]