    SubjectRe: Solaris sources
    Dan Hollis wrote:

    > > > Really? Has anyone actually purchased it? If so, who
    > specifically?
    > > Yes, several well-known CS-related universities have. The message
    > passed
    > > through my mailbox a couple of years ago and I can't remember who
    > they
    > > anymore. Sorry.
    >
    > The only information I have ever seen was that some university tried
    > get the source code (for security review or something). Might have
    > been
    > Stanford. Anyway, for various reasons they either weren't able to
    > get the
    > source or chose not to.
    >
    > It would be nice to have a "from the horse's mouth" report of
    > someone who
    > got the NT source code. Until then I consider it a wild
    > unsubstantiated
    > rumor.

    I can't confirm this, but I remember reading or being told quite a while
    ago that Citrix had purchased an NT-source license. It was the basis
    for their product, which basically hacked at the NT kernel and made it
    multi-user over the network (as an application server). When you bought
    the Citrix product, as I recall, you got a "new" NT kernel that would
    let you connect up over the network and actually "log in" to NT from
    several desktops.

    Troy

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.018 / U:92.928 seconds]