SubjectRe: Linux reboot
On Tue, 26 Mar 1996, William E. Roadcap wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Mar 1996, PAER LINDH wrote:
>
> > I have always wondered why Linux never reboots by itself when I type
> > reboot or press CTRL-ALT-DEL. I will have to press the reset button
> > manually. It just stops after the text
> >
> > rebooting
> >
> > has appeared on the screen. This has happened ever since I switched CPU
> > to a AMD DX4-120. Before on my AMD DX2-66 it rebooted fine.
> > In MS-DOS/Windows the rebooting works fine.
>
> I have had this problem and was unable to fix it. It's nothing to really
> worry about, you may have to live with it.
>
> Did you also change motherboards? In my system, the BIOS had some weird
> setting that dealt with the using the keyboard controller or chipset
> controller for reset. Setting it either way made no difference. I had to
> assume that the problem was an oddball motherboard design and I lived
> with it. I have since switch motherboards (NOT CPU) and Linux is able to
> reset ok.

When I switched Motherboards, I had some problems with some jumpers. I
think one possible cause for this is having the power-save feature for a CPU
turned on when you don't have a power-save feature on your CPU. Also, there
were some CPU/Bus speed jumpers that had two positions that made sense
for my configuration, but one did this, and the other didn't.

Christian G. Holtje (aka Doctor What)

---
--- --- --- - - - - --- ----- docwhat@uiuc.edu
+ - + - + + + - + - + - CS major at Illinois
**** *** *** ** ** * * * * * docwhat@students.uiuc.edu
also: http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/docwhat

Q: Why would the government want to get rid of PBS?
A: Fifteen more minutes of Pentagon running time.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:1.106 / U:0.112 seconds]