SubjectRe: Linux reboot
On Tue, 26 Mar 1996, PAER LINDH wrote:

> I have always wondered why Linux never reboots by itself when I type
> reboot or press CTRL-ALT-DEL. I will have to press the reset button
> manually. It just stops after the text
>
> rebooting
>
> has appeared on the screen. This has happened ever since I switched CPU
> to a AMD DX4-120. Before on my AMD DX2-66 it rebooted fine.
> In MS-DOS/Windows the rebooting works fine.

I have had this problem and was unable to fix it. It's nothing to really
worry about, you may have to live with it.

Did you also change motherboards? In my system, the BIOS had some weird
setting that dealt with the using the keyboard controller or chipset
controller for reset. Setting it either way made no difference. I had to
assume that the problem was an oddball motherboard design and I lived
with it. I have since switch motherboards (NOT CPU) and Linux is able to
reset ok.

I suspect the reason DOS/Windows is able to reset your board is because
those programs probably use the BIOS to reset, Linux does not. This is
an excerpt from the Linux sources.

/*
* This routine reboots the machine by asking the keyboard
* controller to pulse the reset-line low. We try that for a while,
* and if it doesn't work, we do some other stupid things.
*/

So it seem the reset process is just a gamble. It's a good gamble, but may
not work with all hardware.

Don't worry. If your filesystems are unmounted and especially if the
system seems to be locked up after you see "rebooting" everything will be
fine.

Hope this helped.
__
William E. Roadcap mailto://roadcapw@cfw.com
TITUS Software ftp://titus.cfw.com/pub
Waynesboro, Va (USA) http://www.cfw.com/~roadcapw

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.060 / U:2.700 seconds]