SubjectRe: Linux reboot
Date
> I have always wondered why Linux never reboots by itself when I type
> reboot or press CTRL-ALT-DEL. I will have to press the reset button
> manually. It just stops after the text

This is from the new SysV init - I know for a fact because I
just installed it last night, and I am still fiddling with it.
(I had been using a very old a.out Slackware 1.0 init and scripts)

The new package removes the reboot capability from 'shutdown'
and puts it in 'reboot'. If you don't install *everything*
*AND* do as the instructions say, you will have problems.
The 'reboot' utility is actually a link to 'halt', which
can either halt or reboot.

Note: I recommend you use the 'old' rc scripts (simple),
and not the new SysV scripts (more complicated)

-- Andrew E. Mileski --
mailto:? (about to change, see the web page as it is static)
http://www.redhat.com/~aem/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.023 / U:0.064 seconds]