SubjectRe: Serious ext2fs problem
Date
Once upon a time, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote
> > Two questions:
> > 1) How can I fix the filesystem?
>
> I've found there are some errors which the kernel detects, but the
> _latest_ fsck doesn't (and therefore can't repair). To cure one recurring
> error, I ended up re-mkfs on the partition :-(
>
> Perhaps fsck (ext2) needs an update?
>
> How about a full and complete description of the problem, so I have a
> chance of figuring out what sort update (if any) fsck needs?

In my case, the filesystem error in questions is

EXT2-fs error (device 08:31): ext2_new_block: Free blocks count corrupted for block group 546

This is on a 10 gig RAID 0 news spool (on a DPT 3224). The system is
running Linux 2.0.27 + the noatime patch and INN 1.4unoff4. When I run
e2fsck (1.04 that comes with RedHat 4.0 and 1.06 from tsx-11), no errors
are reported.

> The most common "problem" that we've come across is when an inode gets
> corrupted such that the immutable flag is set, and people can't remove
> it using unlink(). (You need to use chattr to clear the immutable flag
> first). But that's not a filesystem or fsck bug, but rather a user
> misunderstanding.....

As far as I know, nothing like this has happened on that filesystem. The
system is not generally accessible, and the only thing other than INN
running on it is sendmail (backup MX for domain). I have also seen the
above problem on other filesystems (that are not mounted with the
noatime option). It seems that umounting the filesystem and then
mounting it again makes the problem go away, at least for a while. That
seems to sound like some kind of kernel error, but that's just a guess.
--
Chris Adams - cadams@ro.com
System Administrator - Renaissance Internet Services

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.124 / U:0.912 seconds]