SubjectRe: Serious ext2fs problem
>    I've found there are some errors which the kernel detects, but the
> _latest_ fsck doesn't (and therefore can't repair). To cure one recurring
> error, I ended up re-mkfs on the partition :-(
>
> Perhaps fsck (ext2) needs an update?
>
> How about a full and complete description of the problem, so I have a
> chance of figuring out what sort update (if any) fsck needs?
>
> The most common "problem" that we've come across is when an inode gets
> corrupted such that the immutable flag is set, and people can't remove
> it using unlink(). (You need to use chattr to clear the immutable flag
> first). But that's not a filesystem or fsck bug, but rather a user
> misunderstanding.....
> - Ted

Sorry, as I didn't have the time to wait for an upgrade, I had
to solve the problem the only way I could figure.

I don't recall the exact message, but it was something about a field
length being 0.

Isn't it possible to look at the kernel code and make sure that all
errors the kernel reports are addressed by fsck?

--
Andrew E. Mileski mailto:aem@ott.hookup.net
Linux Plug-and-Play Kernel Project http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/pnp/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.088 / U:0.220 seconds]