SubjectN_TXTOFF < BLOCK_SIZE. Please convert binary.
Date

I got a number of these messages since yesterday (they were in my
syslog, and had happened overnight). It took a little detective
work te determine what the problem was...

I had repartitioned a second disk, and made /usr/local a separate
filesystem. I had formatted that filesystem as an ext2 with 2048
byte blocks (mostly pretty big files on there, so I figured that
couldn't hurt). That, apparently, *did* hurt. There were a couple
of executables in /usr/local/bin that were still a.out ZMAGIC
(metamail being a significant one).

It seems that ZMAGIC executables can't be loaded from a 2K ext2
filesystem? Why? Is this documented anywhere? I did a thorough
find / grep of my system, but that didn;t turn up any pointers.
How can I "convert binary" (besides recompiling as ELF)?

Details: 2.0.27, running a bunch of stuff as modules. The message
in the subject is closely followed by "modprobe: Can't locate
module binfmt-267". QMAGIC works fine, BTW; or at least my copy
of netscape does.

Paul Slootman
--
Murphy Software, Enschede, The Netherlands | ... It beeped and said
work: paul@wau.mis.ah.nl / paul@murphy.nl | "Countdown initiated."

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.058 / U:0.072 seconds]