    SubjectGetting Frustrated fast...

    Okay, I've mailed to the list a few times giving info on my
    ret_from_sys_call GPF. Yesterday, after a random amount of time
    ps decided to start seg faulting on me. I rebooted and everything
    was fine, minus having to delete the core files it left behind. I
    then proceeded to call a friend who, before my mention of my
    problem, told me that he needed to reboot due to a seg faulting ps.
    We laughed at this and continued on... Today, I turned on my
    computer, happy as a clam... I logged in as root to do a little
    maintenance work and I see a message telling me that root has new
    email. Upon reading the email, I find that for some reason
    cron couldnt write to /var/tmp. Just to make sure I didnt mis-read
    what the email had said, I went to go check on the status of
    /var/tmp, thinking that for some reason it may have accidentally been
    removed. When I arrive in /var I typed ls, only to find that
    tmp is a character device owned by user 34000 something in group
    48000 something, and the mode flags are essentially random. Being
    root I naturally tried to delete this messed up file, and then got
    a "Operation not permitted" error! I am ROOT! I should be god of
    my own computer! I then proceeded to add a user of the correct UID
    and GID to try and remove the file, and then got "Permission Denied".
    Starting to fear for my life I rebooted the computer... The most
    stupid thing I could have done, because I am now in Windows thanks
    to a kernel panic that is keeping me out of my system. I went to
    go use my boot disk, and found out that Redhat no longer has
    mount on their boot disk. How they pulled that off I would like
    to know, but I am left locked out of my system with the grim
    possibility that I will have to reinstall and wax everything on my
    hd. Please dont take this email the wrong way... I appreciate
    every effort those who work on the kernel are putting into their
    projects, and I must say beforehand that this email has been highly
    motivated by pure frustration, but why is so much time being put
    into 2.1.x when 2.0.x is not even stable? From what I hear,
    quite a few people are having my same GPF problem when away from
    the keyboard, ps dies on every system I know that runs 2.0.x,
    and then my kernel decides to re-create a random device from a
    directory and wont let me fix it?

    Please pardon my anger,
    Mike (

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.027 / U:12.848 seconds]