    SubjectRe: EXT4 ENOSPC Bug
    On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 14:00:01 -0500, I waved a wand and this message
    magically appears in front of Theodore Tso:

    > On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 04:27:03PM +0100, Andres Freund wrote:
    > >
    > > So, yes, seems to be an inode allocation problem.
    >
    > Andres, Alex, others,
    >
    > I'm pretty sure the ENOSPC problem which you both found is an inode
    > allocation problem. Some of you seem to have an easier time
    > reproducing it than others; could you try this patch, and periodically
    > scan your system logs for the message "ext4: find_group_flex failed,
    > fallback succeeded"? If the problem goes away for you, and you find
    > the occasional aforemention message in your system log, that will
    > confirm what I suspect, which is the bug is in fs/ext4/inode.c's
    > find_group_flex() function. (If I'm wrong, the fallback code will
    > activate only when the filesystem is genuinely out of inodes, which
    > should be very rare.)

    OK, I had to go look through the archives on linux-ext4 mailing list to
    see what the context was. For myself, this used to happen at least once
    a week with 2.6.26, and less frequently with 2.6.27. I think that 2.6.28
    with your patch should get rid of that problem altogether. I will of
    course get in touch should I see any more of these find_group_flex
    failures as that would mean your patch worked.

    Thanks for your work on tracking this one down!
    --
    http://www.munted.org.uk

    Fearsome grindings.