    SubjectRe: EXT4 ENOSPC Bug
    Theodore Tso wrote:
    > On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 04:27:03PM +0100, Andres Freund wrote:
    >> So, yes, seems to be an inode allocation problem.
    >>

    > Andres, Alex, others,
    >
    > I'm pretty sure the ENOSPC problem which you both found is an inode
    > allocation problem. Some of you seem to have an easier time
    > reproducing it than others; could you try this patch, and periodically
    > scan your system logs for the message "ext4: find_group_flex failed,
    > fallback succeeded"? If the problem goes away for you, and you find
    > the occasional aforemention message in your system log, that will
    > confirm what I suspect, which is the bug is in fs/ext4/inode.c's
    > find_group_flex() function. (If I'm wrong, the fallback code will
    > activate only when the filesystem is genuinely out of inodes, which
    > should be very rare.)
    >
    > More comments are in the patch header. My current long-term plan for
    > dealing with this is to enhance find_group_orlov() to and
    > find_group_other() to understand about flex_bg's.

    Ok, I finally got to where I can reliably hit this. Just as I was about
    to install an ext4 with this patch in place, and the bug was preventing
    the new initrd creation ;) But worked around that, and:

    ext4: find_group_flex failed, fallback succeeded dir 258402
    ext4: find_group_flex failed, fallback succeeded dir 258402
    ext4: find_group_flex failed, fallback succeeded dir 258402
    ext4: find_group_flex failed, fallback succeeded dir 258402

    I'll see if I can dig a bit more as to why the find_group_flex failed,
    if you think it's worth it, Ted.

    -Eric

      Last update: 2009-02-18 12:23    [W:2.272 / U:0.196 seconds]