SubjectRe: EXT4 ENOSPC Bug
Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Theodore Tso wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 04:27:03PM +0100, Andres Freund wrote:
>>> So, yes, seems to be an inode allocation problem.
>>>
>> Andres, Alex, others,
>>
>> I'm pretty sure the ENOSPC problem which you both found is an inode
>> allocation problem. Some of you seem to have an easier time
>> reproducing it than others; could you try this patch, and periodically
>> scan your system logs for the message "ext4: find_group_flex failed,
>> fallback succeeded"? If the problem goes away for you, and you find
>> the occasional aforemention message in your system log, that will
>> confirm what I suspect, which is the bug is in fs/ext4/inode.c's
>> find_group_flex() function. (If I'm wrong, the fallback code will
>> activate only when the filesystem is genuinely out of inodes, which
>> should be very rare.)
>>
>> More comments are in the patch header. My current long-term plan for
>> dealing with this is to enhance find_group_orlov() to and
>> find_group_other() to understand about flex_bg's.
>
> Ok, I finally got to where I can reliably hit this. Just as I was about
> to install an ext4 with this patch in place, and the bug was preventing
> the new initrd creation ;) But worked around that, and:
>
> ext4: find_group_flex failed, fallback succeeded dir 258402
> ext4: find_group_flex failed, fallback succeeded dir 258402
> ext4: find_group_flex failed, fallback succeeded dir 258402
> ext4: find_group_flex failed, fallback succeeded dir 258402
>
> I'll see if I can dig a bit more as to why the find_group_flex failed,
> if you think it's worth it, Ted.

FWIW my problem seems to be different than others have encountered; mine
persists past reboot, while other reporters have said that a reboot
(remount) makes the problem go away.

I seem to be encountering some silliness in find_group_flex when 2 out
of 3 groups are full (I "only" have 55k inodes left, all in the last group).

-Eric

  Last update: 2009-02-18 12:23    [W:0.127 / U:0.048 seconds]