SubjectRe: tools support for non-512 byte sector sizes
On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 01:24:31PM -0400, Ric Wheeler wrote:
> Jim pinged me about the use case for having our tool chain (parted
> specifically) support devices with non-512 bytes sectors.

Matt Domsch spoke with me about this at OLS. I took that opportunity,
and I'll take this one, to pimp my ata-ram driver which allows you to
alter the sector sizse to whatever you want:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/willy/misc.git;a=shortlog;h=ata-ram

I'll admit to having not tested it with anything other than 512, but it
ought to support 4096 byte sectors just fine. I haven't looked at what
would be required to support 520-byte sectors.

Jeff, any interest in merging ata-ram soon? I've got some users inside
Intel, and Zab persuaded me to add the multiple port support last night,
so it's not just useful for me. I think it's also a nice template to
have around to show how to write a minimal libata driver.