SubjectRe: tools support for non-512 byte sector sizes
James Bottomley wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 12:26 -0600, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 01:24:31PM -0400, Ric Wheeler wrote:
>>> Jim pinged me about the use case for having our tool chain (parted
>>> specifically) support devices with non-512 bytes sectors.
>> Matt Domsch spoke with me about this at OLS. I took that opportunity,
>> and I'll take this one, to pimp my ata-ram driver which allows you to
>> alter the sector sizse to whatever you want:
>> I'll admit to having not tested it with anything other than 512, but it
>> ought to support 4096 byte sectors just fine. I haven't looked at what
>> would be required to support 520-byte sectors.
> scsi_debug does exactly the same thing, so it reports anything you tell
> it (Martin Petersen actually added this so he could test with 4k
> sectors).
> The problem, which ata_ram also suffers, is that the tools we most need
> to test are the ones for manipulating non volatile characteristics (like
> partition tables). We'd really like the disk contents to survive reboot
> for this ...

SCST ( fully supports non-512 bytes sectors up to
4096. Available target drivers for transports: software iSCSI, FC,
InfiniBand SRP, parallel SCSI, SAS (not much tested, because of lack of
hardware). With VDISK dev handler you can use files as a backstorage.

I personally for a long time have been working with 4K sectors, because
it's better for performance, but so far found the only tool, which
doesn't support them: disktest.