    SubjectRe: tools support for non-512 byte sector sizes
    James Bottomley wrote:
    > On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 12:26 -0600, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
    >> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 01:24:31PM -0400, Ric Wheeler wrote:
    >>> Jim pinged me about the use case for having our tool chain (parted
    >>> specifically) support devices with non-512 bytes sectors.
    >> Matt Domsch spoke with me about this at OLS. I took that opportunity,
    >> and I'll take this one, to pimp my ata-ram driver which allows you to
    >> alter the sector sizse to whatever you want:
    >> I'll admit to having not tested it with anything other than 512, but it
    >> ought to support 4096 byte sectors just fine. I haven't looked at what
    >> would be required to support 520-byte sectors.
    > scsi_debug does exactly the same thing, so it reports anything you tell
    > it (Martin Petersen actually added this so he could test with 4k
    > sectors).
    > The problem, which ata_ram also suffers, is that the tools we most need
    > to test are the ones for manipulating non volatile characteristics (like
    > partition tables). We'd really like the disk contents to survive reboot
    > for this ...

    SCST ( fully supports non-512 bytes sectors up to
    4096. Available target drivers for transports: software iSCSI, FC,
    InfiniBand SRP, parallel SCSI, SAS (not much tested, because of lack of
    hardware). With VDISK dev handler you can use files as a backstorage.

    I personally for a long time have been working with 4K sectors, because
    it's better for performance, but so far found the only tool, which
    doesn't support them: disktest.