    Subjectkbuild now support arch/$ARCH/include - time for ARCHs to convert
    The traditional location of the arch specific Makefiles
    has been at:

    But as suggested by several people over time and lately
    by Linus in the following post:

    is is suggested to move the arch specific files under arch/
    and for the header files this is arch/$ARCH/include.

    So I have hacked up support for this in kbuild so
    for the simpler cases a simple move of header files as
    git mv include/asm-$ARCH arch/$ARCH/include/asm

    is enough.

    If Linus will accept it then I think -rc1 is a perfect
    time to do it as people has less stuff pending touching
    the header files that are moved.
    Validation is easy - does the usual configs build?

    For the archs that plays games with symlinks this is a
    splendid opportunity to get rid af these.
    The receipe is simple:
    KBUILD_CFLAGS += -Iarch/$ARCH/include/$CPU

    to select the CPU and then do a copy of the header files
    like this:

    git mv include/asm-$ARCH/$CPU arch/$ARCH/include/$CPU/cpu

    Then the code can continue to use:

    #include <cpu/foo.h>

    I already converted sparc to use arch/sparc/include -
    while I merged the header files for sparc and sparc64.
    This change is already upstream.

    And for SH I posted a receipe which you can read here:

    It is SH specific but anyway pretty generic.

    I am limited in time and resources at the moment but I
    would be glad to help out as time permits should there
    be any questions.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-07-28 22:07    [W:0.020 / U:22.900 seconds]