    SubjectRe: Fwd: That whole "Linux stealing our code" thing
    On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 03:03:36PM -0700, Sam Leffler wrote:
    > Adrian Bunk wrote:

    >>> Reyk's code was never dual licensed, so it's not like it even matters
    >>> to the original dispute.
    >>>

    >> It's no longer dual licenced in the FreeBSD tree because the FreeBSD
    >> people removed the GPL choice of the dual licenced code 3 months ago.
    >>
    >> So all of Theo's accusations of people breaking the law by making this
    >> dual licenced code GPL-only apply as well to the FreeBSD people...
    >>

    > Sigh, why actually check the facts when you can make them up. The code in
    > question is my code. It has my copyright (modulo bits shared with onoe-san
    > who was consulted on the switch from dual-bsd/gpl to bsd only in freebsd).

    The latter is the code by Video54 Technologies?

    > Of course what was amusing was how after I changed the license on the
    > current code in freebsd certain folks retroactively applied the license
    > changes to code that was 3 years old.
    >
    > But is there a point to all this nonsense? I dual-licensed the code so
    > folks could adopt and use it however they saw fit. As I've said before I
    > don't care what people do with the work I give away so long as they don't
    > claim it's their own.

    Fully agreed. :-)

    >>> That said, I don't see what exact wording you consider inaccurate.
    >>>

    >> Both the FreeBSD and Linux people draw the logical conclusion that this
    >> "Alternatively" means everyone can always choose to remove one of the two
    >> choices alternatively offered.
    >>
    >> According to Theo, that is "breaking the law"...
    >
    > I've yet to see "FreeBSD people" speak up so again you're just spouting
    > jibberish. I am speaking up as the author of the code that set the dual
    > license in place. I have the definitive say and I have said that any of my
    > code that is dual-licensed can be made gpl only.

    Sorry, this has been a thinko on my side:

    If noone except you and onoe-san made any contributions to this code
    that were non-trivial enough for automatically giving its author a
    copyright on his contributions (whatever this means in various
    jurisdictions...) it was indeed an author-only change.

    > Sam

    cu
    Adrian

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.