    SubjectRe: 2.6 must-fix list, v3
    Andrew Morton wrote :
    > Quite a lot of changes here. Mostly additions, but some things have been
    > crossed off.
    > Also at

    I don't like making todo list for other people, because it's
    up to them to decide, but here is my wishlist for 2.6.X in term of
    Wireless stuff.
    I hope those concerned will react and send you their real todo

    o get latest orinoco changes from David. Linus seems timely in
    picking David's changes, so I'm not worried about this one.

    o get the latest airo.c fixes from CVS. This will hopefully
    fix problems people have reported on the LKML.

    o get HostAP driver in the kernel. No consolidation of the
    802.11 management across driver can happen until this one is in (which
    is probably 2.7.X material). I think Jouni is mostly ready but didn't
    find time for it.

    o get more wireless drivers into the kernel. The most
    "integrable" drivers at this point seem the NWN driver, Pavel's
    Spectrum driver and the Atmel driver.

    o The last two drivers mentioned above are held up by firmware
    issues (see flamewar on LKML a few days ago). So maybe fixing those
    firmware issues should be a requirement for 2.6.X, because we can
    expect more wireless devices to need firmware upload at startup coming
    to market.
    As this firmware business seems to me not a wireless specific
    issue (see for example drivers/scsi/qlogicfc_asm.c or
    drivers/atm/, I would prefer a generic solution to that
    problem, either saying it's OK to put firmware in the kernel (with
    proper licensing) or providing working technical solutions.
    My personal position is that I don't want to hold wireless
    drivers in higher standard than other drivers in the kernel, and I
    don't want to leave those drivers in the black hole where they
    currently are.

    Have fun...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.024 / U:6.996 seconds]