    Subjectairo and firmware upload (was Re: 2.6 must-fix list, v3)
    Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
    > o get the latest airo.c fixes from CVS. This will hopefully
    > fix problems people have reported on the LKML.

    please beg Javier to split up his patch. He sends me a _huge_ patch
    with tons of changes each time. If I object to one thing, we spin in
    another huge-patch loop... :/

    Sending me 20, 50, 100 patches to the same file is ok. Even encouraged.

    > o get HostAP driver in the kernel. No consolidation of the
    > 802.11 management across driver can happen until this one is in (which
    > is probably 2.7.X material). I think Jouni is mostly ready but didn't
    > find time for it.

    yeah, there are many requests for this one

    > o The last two drivers mentioned above are held up by firmware
    > issues (see flamewar on LKML a few days ago). So maybe fixing those
    > firmware issues should be a requirement for 2.6.X, because we can
    > expect more wireless devices to need firmware upload at startup coming
    > to market.

    > As this firmware business seems to me not a wireless specific
    > issue (see for example drivers/scsi/qlogicfc_asm.c or
    > drivers/atm/atmsar11.data), I would prefer a generic solution to that
    > problem, either saying it's OK to put firmware in the kernel (with
    > proper licensing) or providing working technical solutions.

    We need firmware upload, and, firmware _should_ be uploaded from userspace.

    All someone needs to do is actually write the code for their driver to
    receive firmware from userspace, and the rest is easy. A working
    technical solution is obvious, it just needs interested parties to
    implement.

    We can upload firmware from initrd, if no boot device is available at
    the time.

    Jeff

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:35    [W:0.044 / U:64.060 seconds]