    SubjectRe: [RFC] frandom - fast random generator module

    Jeff> We don't need "low cost RNG" and "high cost RNG" in the same
    Jeff> kernel. That just begs a "reduce RNG cost" solution... I
    Jeff> think security experts can easily come up with arguments as to
    Jeff> why creating your own "low-cost crappy PRNG" isn't needed --
    Jeff> you either need crypto-secure, or you don't. If you don't,
    Jeff> then you could just as easily create an ascending 64-bit
    Jeff> number for your opaque filehandle, or use a hash value, or
    Jeff> some other solution that doesn't require an additional PRNG in
    Jeff> the kernel.

    I don't think that's true. For example, the perfmon module in ia64
    needs a fast pseudo-random number generator in order to randomize
    sampling intervals. It doesn't have to be a great RNG (certainly not
    crypto-secure), but it does have to have reasonable properties to
    avoid statistical bias. We have tried without in-kernel RNG and the
    results were unusable (e.g., resetting the sampling intervals in
    user-space was far too costly and not randomizing the sampling
    intervals caused horrible bias). The RNG we settled on for now is the
    Carta's (see arch/ia64/lib/carta_random.S), which is quite fast and
    compact (all of 19 machine instructions).

    David Mosberger; 35706 Runckel Lane; Fremont, CA 94536;

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.019 / U:55.384 seconds]