    SubjectRe: [RFC] frandom - fast random generator module
    On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 09:28:58PM +0200, Eli Billauer wrote:
    > Allow me to supply a couple facts about frandom:
    >
    > * It's not a "crappy" RNG. Its RC4 origins and the fact, that it has
    > passed tests indicate the opposite. A fast RNG doesn't necessarily mean
    > a bad one. I doubt if any test will tell the difference between frandom
    > and any other good RNG. You're most welcome to try.
    >
    > * Frandom is written completely in C. On an i686, gcc compiles the
    > critical part to 26 assembly instructions per byte, and I doubt if any
    > hand assembly would help significantly. The algorithms is clean and
    > simple, and the compiler performs well with it.

    The output hash for /dev/random would use RC4 or the like except for
    historical political reasons. I'm hoping to move it in that direction,
    but adding yet another cryptographic algorithm outside cryptoapi is
    a step in the wrong direction right now.

    --
    Matt Mackall : http://www.selenic.com : Linux development and consulting