    SubjectRe: [idea] request_module(const char *fmt, ...);
    On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, David Woodhouse wrote:
    > I'd be inclined to change request_module to take multiple arguments, but still
    > to leave it defined as a NOP in the !CONFIG_KMOD case. That way, all the code
    > gets cleaned up, but you don't incur the extra function call cost.

    No, because that would make everything that includes kmod.h depend on
    CONFIG_KMOD. The best way we found so far (based on Keith's suggestion) is
    to have just one request_module() function which treats variable arguments
    and is reduced to return -EINVAL if CONFIG_KMOD is not defined. This way
    all the knowledge about CONFIG_KMOD is concentrated in kmod.c. Also,
    kmod.h header should vanish and request_module() live in module.h

    > I appreciate that the cost of that function call isn't exactly high - but it's
    > not exactly necessary either. When you change to/from CONFIG_KMOD, you expect
    > to have to recompile some files. It's not the end of the world.

    It may well be the end of the world, if you only have 4 seconds to repair
    some nuclear missile system (powered by Linux) and recompiling the whole
    kernel will take 25.1 seconds if everything depends on CONFIG_KMOD....

    > Except in exceptional cases, run-time performance is far more important than
    > compilation time, surely?

    those exceptional cases, e.g. loading a binary will be given a bit more
    thought and performance analysis. If we find less than 0.01% degradation
    then the beauty argument wins. (I hope).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.021 / U:12.192 seconds]