SubjectRe: [idea] request_module(const char *fmt, ...);
Now I found a reason why request_module() can *NOT* be a macro. Ever.
Because it wouldn't work for the calls like

(void) request_module("ide-blabla");

or

if (request_module("misc-blabla") == 0)
or some others you can easily imagine. It *worked* before only because all
the calls to request_module() were either surrounded by CONFIG_KMOD or
were in the form of a very simple:

request_module(modname);

So, having it as macro or not is not a matter of taste. Having it as a
macro is *wrong*. It is inconsistent, because it assumes the callers
surround their code with CONFIG_KMOD, but some (e.g. telephony) don't but
just use it in a "valid" way.

This time I cc'd Linus because this finding puts the last nail on the
coffin of the "we want macro and not a function" approach and therefore
proves the validity of my implementation (the patch I sent earlier):

http://www.ocston.org/~tigran/patches/kmod-2.3.40-p1.patch

Regards,
------
Tigran A. Aivazian | http://www.sco.com
Escalations Research Group | tel: +44-(0)1923-813796
Santa Cruz Operation Ltd | http://www.ocston.org/~tigran