    SubjectRe: [patch] pagecache-2.3.9-E8, fixes against pre3-2.3.9

    On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > > - to clean up some of the recent ext2fs changes and the ugly interfaces
    > > that resulted, i changed the inode_operations API to have two bmap()
    > > variants:
    > This will not be accepted. I told you why I refused to have the crap
    > "result passing through pointers" in the first place. If it gets cleaned
    > up, it gets cleaned up _properly_, not like this.

    how should i clean it up? When we allocate a new block we have three
    (conceptual) parameters 'got new block', 'block address' and 'error
    condition'. I couldnt reduce it further. I did not want to duplicate code
    and put a whole block_write_partial|full_page implementation just to be
    able to pass bhs to the lowlevel fs. This just hides the parameter passing
    problem, N times, into every block-based filesystem. It also eliminates
    clean ways to merge the 'clear new block' operation with 'overwrite block

    -- mingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.018 / U:6.924 seconds]