SubjectRe: Ken Thompson interview in IEEE Computer magazine (fwd)
You guys should listen to Ken.  He is a wise man.  Linux is a great little
OS and is probably the world's greatest software development environment.
On the other hand, there are a bunch of places where it leaves a lot
to be desired. Using an off the shelf Linux for a firewall vs. using
an off the shelf Solaris as a firewall is an interesting comparison.
Using Linux when you really need 64 bits to work is also an interesting
problem. I've been through 3 startups which are all Linux based and there
was many a time that I was ready to call Sun (I never did, but it was,
and continues to be, quite painful).

There is a huge difference between using Linux as a build machine and
using it to run 100% of your company. It's getting better every day,
but Ken is absolutely correct in stating that it has a long way to go.
I don't think that any of us would suggest that our banks place their
databases on Linux today (and those of you who would, please suggest it
to *your* bank, not mine).

That doesn't say anything negative about Linux, by the way. It just
says we still have work to do. Which is true.

: alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk writes:
: