    SubjectUnexecutable Stack / Buffer Overflow Exploits...

    Boy, I'd kill for some generic buffer overflow exploit prevention that was
    100% foolproof and didn't depend on applications being written properly, while
    still maintaining reasonable functionality of the computing environment. I.E.
    turning the power off and locking the machine in a physically secured
    environment would be secure but not very functional.

    To the person that said most modern clients are smart enough to change UID
    before accepting user input, I have to ask, how many times have you had to
    upgrade sendmail, bind, ftpd, popd, imapd, rstatd, rlockd, portmap, ....
    because of buffer overflow exploits that keep popping up? And even for
    example, if you run bind non-root, if they can clobber your name server files
    and screw up name service, even that will suffice to raise major havoc.
    Besides if they can get a shell as ANY UID that gives them an inside base from
    which to advance their attack.

    It's pretty clear to me that applications programmers will never
    adequately secure their code; and it's beyond the scope of what I can do to
    re-write every application I use or to be absolutely sure there are no buffer
    overflow or other exploits.

    If you can stop the script kiddies; that's about 99.99% of the problem

    I've looked at Stack Guard, but unfortunately, it can be gotten around
    fairly easily and I'm sure at best it would just result in a new generation of
    exploit scripts AND it's only applicable to x86 presently (most of my equipment
    is Sparc based). I'd use it if it worked on Sparc anyway, because it's another
    layer to get around.

    I don't see unexecutable stack as a 100% fix, but it's another layer that
    the script kiddies would have to get around. The more the better. It's always
    going to be more difficult to stop a determined real hacker that actually knows
    what they're doing, there are just too many bugs in any complex OS that someone
    can creatively find ways to exploit, but for every real hacker there are 10,000
    script kiddies out there.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.019 / U:44.972 seconds]