    > Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 15:10:41 +1100 (EST)
    > From: Damien Miller <>
    > To: Gregory Maxwell <>
    > Cc: Horst von Brand <>,
    > Robert Dinse <>,
    > Subject: Re: Unexecutable Stack / Buffer Overflow Exploits...
    > On Wed, 29 Dec 1999, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
    > > The effectiveness of this patch comes from two places:
    > >
    > > A) It's rare and breaks all existing attacks.
    > > B) I actually makes that class of attack harder to accomplish.
    > C) It warns you when a buffer overrun attempt has been made,
    > which alerts you to the problem and gives you a chance to fix
    > or disable the offending program.
    > Regards,
    > Damien Miller

    In the event when the attacker is stupid enough to launch from a dial-up
    of an ISP, and I do see this frequently, it gives you a chance to kill the
    offending account.

    When they use a previously compromised host as a platform to launch their
    attack from, it gives you the chance to notify the admin of that host so they
    can secure it.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.020 / U:2.188 seconds]