    SubjectRe: Unexecutable Stack / Buffer Overflow Exploits...
    On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Damien Miller wrote:

    > Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 15:10:41 +1100 (EST)
    > From: Damien Miller <djm@mindrot.org>
    > To: Gregory Maxwell <greg@linuxpower.cx>
    > Cc: Horst von Brand <vonbrand@pincoya.inf.utfsm.cl>,
    > Robert Dinse <nanook@eskimo.com>, linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
    > Subject: Re: Unexecutable Stack / Buffer Overflow Exploits...

    > On Wed, 29 Dec 1999, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
    >
    > > The effectiveness of this patch comes from two places:
    > >
    > > A) It's rare and breaks all existing attacks.
    > > B) I actually makes that class of attack harder to accomplish.
    >
    > C) It warns you when a buffer overrun attempt has been made,
    > which alerts you to the problem and gives you a chance to fix
    > or disable the offending program.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Damien Miller

    In the event when the attacker is stupid enough to launch from a dial-up
    of an ISP, and I do see this frequently, it gives you a chance to kill the
    offending account.

    When they use a previously compromised host as a platform to launch their
    attack from, it gives you the chance to notify the admin of that host so they
    can secure it.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.025 / U:0.060 seconds]