SubjectRe: "per-process" limits (was: Showstopper list)
On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> >Someone wrote:
> >> I'd like to see per user as well as per process limits for kernel
> >> commitment, address space commitment etc. Those are really needed
> >> for "big iron" machines and Linux is moving more and more into that
> >> area.
>
> "Per process" limits for anything under Linux are difficult to
> envisage in a world of multi-threaded processes. Currently, Linux has
> no kernel abstraction to distinguish the kernel's notion of a task
> (aka "thread") and the unix/user-level notion of a process. Limits
> applied to a given task in a process (conventionally adequate for all
> single-threaded processes) would not apply to other kernel threads
> created using clone(). Presto, any "per process" limits are
> circumvented.

That's why Alan suggested "per-user" limits being supported as well.

But to address the thread-accounting issue for the general (non-malicious)
case, how about a "CLONE_ACCOUNTING" flag?

Adam
--
You crucify all honesty \\Adam D. Bradley artdodge@cs.bu.edu
No signs you see do you believe \\Boston University Computer Science

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.643 / U:0.348 seconds]