    SubjectRe: "per-process" limits (was: Showstopper list)
    > Adding a kernel abstraction, such as a "group of tasks", would allow
    > such limits to be implemented in a sane fashion, and is flexible
    > enough to even allow the limits applied to groups of tasks not related
    > via fork()/clone().

    I actually wrote a few pieces of a thing called "beancounter" which was
    an idea to do this. I've not had time to do more than post the first
    draft version of the code (which someone in Linux security duely broke
    straight off). Im not sure if the person who picked up on it is working
    further on it or not.

    The model SCO use for a user is fairly simple. There are three uid values
    involved - uid, euid, and luid. The luid is a login uid. It is set once and
    cannot be changed.

    The code I had was less restrictive than the SCO idea - you have an luid
    which sets your current->beancounter. That is the beancounter to which all
    your resources get charged. Each resource object you allocate also makes
    a copy by reference counting of the bean counter so that it can free up
    the resources on an object.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.019 / U:55.668 seconds]