    SubjectRe: "per-process" limits (was: Showstopper list)
    >Alan Cox writes:
    >> user-level limits are a great thing, I don't think that user ID should
    >> be the starting point for implementing a limit system. Instead, you
    >Nothing says the luid matches the uids. It does in SCO, but Im treating
    >it as an arbitary charge number - its your departmental code for accounting
    >or whatever.

    Sorry, I wasn't clear. All I meant was that its better not to try to
    start implementing a limits scheme based on the idea that the limits
    apply to *some* kind of user ID (luid, euid, etc.), since this is
    restrictive. Better to start with a mechanism that makes no reference
    to a "user" (thus allowing limits to be placed even on entirely kernel
    side tasks), and then layer the user stuff on top. IMHO, anyway.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.024 / U:15.212 seconds]